If a research organisation is planning on doing geological sampling or acquiring geophysical data, which can be relevant for hydrocarbon exploration, then a scientific research license is required. The key differences between a traditional prospecting license and a Scientific Research License are:
· There is not cost associated what the issuance of a Scientific Research License.
· There is not confidentiality period on data acquired under a Scientific Research License.
About a Scientific Research License
A Scientific Research License gives the licensee the right to undertake scientific research on the Faroese Continental Shelf. A license to carry out scientific research of the Faroese Continental Shelf does not confer on the licensee a right for exploration in the areas to which the license is applicable, nor does it convey a right or priority for the exploitation of possible petroleum deposits, or natural resources other than petroleum.
Jarðfeingi receives a copy of all survey results which subsequently are stored at Jarðfeingi.
To avoid disturbing spawning stocks and fishing activity, seismic surveys can only take place during certain periods of the year.
In addition, Representatives of the Faroese Geological Survey as well as persons authorised by the Faroese Geological Survey are entitled at any time to be present for inspection purposes during surveys and other activities that take place in pursuance of this license.
How to obtain a Scientific Research License
Companies wishing to obtain a Scientific Research License are kindly asked to note the following:
1) Applications for a Scientific Research Licenses must be submitted to:
Faroese Geological Survey
Jóannesar Paturssonargøta 32-34
P.O. Box 3059
2) An application for a Scientific Research License shall as a minimum include the following information:
- the area to be explored (position lines etc.),
- indication of the time of the survey,
- exploration methods and instrumentation,
- vessels, including auxiliary vessels, to be used and their nationality,
3) A Scientific Research License is valid for the year the license is assigned and entitles the licensee to perform scientific surveys (seismic, magnetic, gravimetric, geologic sampling etc.).
4) A copy of this license must be found onboard the research vessel. The licensee is obliged to ensure that the captain of the vessel knows the contents of the license.
5) The Faroese authorities welcome licensees’ readiness to provide employment for Faroese candidates as well as their willingness to give Faroese companies opportunities, in competition with other companies, to provide goods and services, eg auxiliary vessels, connected with the performance of the activities under the Prospecting License.
Contact Jarðfeingi for a onshore Scientific Research License (firstname.lastname@example.org)